My previous post was written at the beginning of our vacation. It covered some of the unexpected things that happened during our time scheduled time of rest and relaxation. You can check back for that narrative. Well, to add to the interruptions we had already experienced, the week ended with someone backing into my car and a robbery that occurred in our hotel room. Needless to say we were ready to return home when the time came to end this vacation. You know how you often wish you had just one more day…not us!
Over the next couple of days as we settled back into our routine, probably due to the problems we had encountered, I began making a mental list in my mind of why vacations are good, but home is better! Dorothy had it correct in “The Wizard of Oz” as she clicked those sparkly red shoes together and repeated, “There’s no place like home! There’s no place like home!” And the list goes as follows.
- You know where you are when you wake up in the night and how to get to the bathroom in the dark.
- You don’t have to feel guilty about leaving your dog behind, looking at you with the saddest eyes ever!
- Your hair knows how to react to the water it is washed in instead of going crazy with hotel water.
- You don’t feel pressured into put on a swimming suit because some beautiful pool and hot tub are at your disposal .
- You sleep soundly on the mattress with the pillows and the “noises” you are accustomed to.
- Your stomach doesn’t go crazy because it is introduced to increased quantities of food that are totally outside of your ordinary diet.
- There is no housekeeping lady knocking on your door even though you left the “Do Not Disturb” sign out because it is your vacation and it is your duty to sleep late while you can!
- You know where things are and you are not constantly searching for them.
- You can make your coffee the way you like it because no-one has the chocolate caramel creamer that I love at hotels.
- You can nestle into your favorite spot to sit at the end of the day.
- You can walk into the kitchen and forage for something if you are hungry instead of having to get in a car to find it.
- Your flowers that you have been caring for since the spring don’t up and die on you because of un unexpected heat wave.
- Your dog snuggles up to you, lets out that deep sigh, and begins to snore which brings a silly smile to your face and a calming of your own soul.
- You can wash your favorite pair of blue jeans and wear them every day if you want.
- You don’t have this intimidating stack of mail to go through because you were gone for a week.
- You don’t feel guilty because you left your co-workers behind working.
- You are much more likely to keep your consistent time alone with God a priority.
- Your get to attend your own church on Sunday.
- Your are not constantly staring at your GPS to figure out where you are going.
- You exist where people love and care about you
- I am adding this one for Eddy despite the fact I will end on an odd number! At home you can count on the water pressure of your shower to be “just right.”
Why don’t I just stop there. I have listed enough reasons for me not to bemoan the fact that our summer vacation has come and gone. Hope you have a great time on yours if you are greatly anticipating it, but remember “There’s no place like home!” To God Be the Glory!